WSJ seeks banking editor
The Wall Street Journal is looking for an editor to drive coverage of big banks, Wall Street, financial technology, payments and the changing nature of money. All of these are core to what we cover as a section and as a news organization.
The talented reporters on the banking team cover everything from banks like J.P. Morgan Chase and Goldman Sachs, to scandals such as the one that rocked Wells Fargo last year, to regional and community banks, to consumer finance, to card giants like Visa, to bitcoin, blockchain and the intersection of finance and tech.
The ideal candidate is a skilled editor/manager/writer who has the vision to pursue ambitious stories while also driving day-to-day coverage on a broad number of fronts. This person should be able to juggle everything from quarterly earnings, to fast-moving breaking news, to enterprise stories, aheds, extras and leders.
Knowledge of Wall Street and banking is preferred, and candidates should be financially literate. They should also have an interest in going beyond traditional forms of storytelling and be willing to embrace digital, visual and graphical formats to explore issues in new and different ways.
Candidates should be interested in helping to develop reporters in terms of reporting, writing and story conceptualization. Above all, the person should be a team player who will foster collaboration both within the banking bureau and the wider finance team.
- Help conceive, prioritize and drive news and enterprise coverage.
- Edit news and enterprise stories, sharpening and rewriting when necessary.
- Work closely with reporters to ensure that stories include all of the necessary elements and meet WSJ standards.
- Ensure that story packages are properly packaged with text, visuals, video, inset boxes for related articles or twitter, timelines, etc., and ensure the packages are optimized for mobile audiences.
- Ensure that all components are of the highest quality, adhere to WSJ standards and are ready for publication as a complete article-page.
- Ensure the timely and coordinated publication of all coverage area story packages.
- Inspire our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Set standards for individual and team performance – ongoing and in regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Excellent news judgment.
- Peerless writing and editing skills. Capable of editing and elevating news, features and visual elements with speed and depth.
- Sound organizational abilities: setting agendas, managing projects and maintaining a slate of forward planning.
- Innovative and creative thinker, leader and manager.
- Equally at home in digital media environments and print, with demonstrated excellence in writing and editing in both. Solid grasp of video as a content format.
- Deep understanding of the audience and membership structure, and how to use insight research and analytics to continually refine this understanding.
- Deep understanding of the brand values and mission of WSJ — digital and print — and how our journalism should be selected, executed and presented in line with those values.
- Proficient in basic numeracy and modern research methods. Confident in analyzing the data behind a story.
- Proficient in digital and social media strategy and tools.
To apply, go here.