WSJ seeks a print editor
The Wall Street Journal is seeking a Print Editor to ensure the best-in-class presentation of its journalism in the print edition, in line with the editorial vision and expectations of the newsroom’s senior editors while using audience data to inform our decisions.
- Advise and guide the coverage chiefs in the planning stages of stories about what is required from the story packages on the article level to ensure that readers are offered the best possible presentation in print.
- Oversee any needed tailoring of story packages for optimized reading and display in print, including headline style and length, graphics/photo cropping, etc. Provide feedback to Coverage Chiefs and editors
- Define “What does good look like” (story telling, content structure, story components, etc.) for the print edition in collaboration with the Visuals Teams and Audience Insight teams, inform and educate reporters and editors so that they understand and take into account these best practices.
- Identify and test new non-text formats (i.e. photo and graphics packages), in conjunction with the coverage areas
- Plan with the coverage areas and implement the special visual treatment of major events.
Platform and workflows
- Regularly review and develop the platform strategy (content, design, UX) based on industry standards and trends, audience behavior and editorial vision in collaboration with the senior newsroom editors.
- Coordinate with the Journal’s digital platform editors about article availability for print (timing, scope etc.).
- Regularly review and optimize the look and feel of the print edition, work with product and prepress teams on continuous improvement
- Regularly review the processes and workflows used to publish the print paper, in conjunction with the coverage areas and newsroom leadership; aim for efficient processes, met deadlines, reduced plate changes.
- Work with the commercial team on innovative, attractive, non-intrusive and audience friendly advertising solutions that are in line with WSJ standards
- Lead and manage a team of people who design, layout and produce all editions of the US paper and a subgroup working on overseas editions .
- Inspire our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Manage, motivate and develop staff to be highly productive and to create high-quality work.
- Set clear objectives for direct reports.
- Monitor individual and team performance through ongoing and regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Provide strong leadership in difficult situations.
- Identify high-potential members of the team and ensure they are effectively developed.
- Identify members of the team with performance gaps and ensure they improve their performance or they pursue opportunities outside of the WSJ
- With support of the Newsroom Operations Team: Manage and develop staff members (appraisals, career development, dismissal, etc.)
- With support of the Newsroom Operations Team: Operational management of staff members (duty roster, vacation planning, resource disposition, etc.)
To apply, go here.