Wired seeks a copy editor in San Francisco
Wired is seeking a first-rate copy editor to work with our print and digital editorial teams in our San Francisco office.
The copy editor will be expected to edit all editorial content—from short web posts to long-form features—for grammar, style, and syntax. Beyond that, copy editors should have a great ear for language and be able to recast prose for clarity, concision, and brand voice, when necessary.
The successful applicant will be a seasoned editor who knows when to diplomatically push their point and when to defer to writers and other editors. They will also be enthusiastic and highly organized. And they will be able to demonstrate (both through a cover letter and résumé) their interest in technology and how it’s transforming the world.
Candidates should be comfortable working with content-management systems and the Adobe suite of publishing tools. They should also be able to work quickly and accurately under deadline pressure.
The position is a full-time staff role in our San Francisco office and occasionally requires working long hours.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- At least four years’ experience as a copy editor
- An acute attention to detail
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- A strong grasp of Chicago and Associated Press style guides
- The ability to clearly communicate edits electronically and on paper
- Familiarity with and enthusiasm for the content of WIRED
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- A broad-based knowledge of the world
If interested, send a résumé and one-page cover letter to email@example.com with the phrase “copy editor position” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.