VTDigger seeks a business reporter
VTDigger.org is the premier daily news organization in Vermont with 230,000 unique readers a month. We specialize in watchdog reporting on state government, business and politics.
Our work has been recognized nationally and is frequently picked up by Politico, the Washington Post and the New York Times.
VTDigger.org is seeking a business reporter with data skills who can analyze state economic trends, budget issues and taxes, and write feature stories about the state’s tech, manufacturing, agricultural, nonprofit and service industries.
The ideal candidate should be:
- a self-starter proficient at managing time, developing story ideas and producing publication-ready content with minimal editing and supervision.
- obsessed with examining the fairness and effectiveness of government tax and business policies.
able to balance investigative projects with daily reporting.
- resourceful about obtaining public information in a state that routinely limits access to government records.
- able to develop and maintain professional relationships with the business community, local economists, key industry groups.
- proficient at collecting and analyzing data and using it to verify and sharpen anecdotal reporting.
- a storyteller able to bring complex issues to life through compelling characters and narratives.
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism and/or Economics
3+ years of professional journalism
Strong reporting and writing skills
Social media skills
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to Anne Galloway, executive director of the Vermont Journalism Trust, email@example.com