Variety seeks deputy online editor
Variety is looking for a proven online editor who thrives in an extremely fast-paced setting. This exciting role is responsible for managing, editing and writing digital content for Variety’s award-winning website, as well as playing a key operational role.
- Oversee and develop daily/weekly content for Variety.com
- Work with other Web professionals, such as Web editors, designers, and developers to determine the best way to present information online.
- Monitor news feeds and social media for breaking news
- Manage a team of news editors who assign quick news hits to writers and interns and see them through from assignment to publication
- Identify developing or breaking news that warrants deeper reporting and collaborate with reports editors to see coverage through
- Organizing the editorial calendar
- Work with social media editors to effectively share stories on top platforms
- Reporting on the successes and failures of content initiatives
- Enforce editorial policies and procedures
- Be mindful of an analytics-focused approach to guide digital content strategy and measurably improve website engagement and audience
- 5-7 years of experience in related role(s) at minimum; those with greater levels of experience could also be considered
- Knowledge of what’s relevant and timely in entertainment industry; experience with an entertainment trade publication is a plus.
- Superb writing and editing skills
- A facility for writing excellent headlines.
- Flexibility with work hours that will likely involve time outside the 9-to-5 weekday hours. Off-shift work required occasionally in urgent news situations.
- Capable of moving quickly and thoughtfully
- Ability to frame stories to be of interest to both the consumer and trade marketplaces is important; the ability to write social-media-friendly headlines is an absolute must.
- Highly proficient at producing copy; photos; galleries; video; infographics and data visualizations via a content management system; re-circulation links; SEO best practices, etc.
- Team player mentality and approach.
To apply, go here.