TheStreet seeks banking and finance reporter
TheStreet Inc., an award-winning financial media company, is seeking an experienced Banking & Finance Reporter.
Based in New York, this writer will be part of a team responsible for covering all aspects of the finance industry, from FinTech lenders to insurance conglomerates, private equity firms and hedge funds for TheStreet’s digital products, including not only the flagship consumer site but subscription products such as Real Money and The Deal.
The right candidates will be enthusiastic about the beat, familiar with the basics of the finance industry and its regulatory overseers and willing to develop the source relationships necessary to break news about equities and bond markets, investing, transactions including mergers and acquisitions, and bankruptcy.
Other Responsibilities include:
• Evaluating news leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Gathering and verifying factual information through interviews, observation and research
• Representing TheStreet on television, video or as a speaker at industry events
• Following market trends and providing sophisticated analysis that will be useful to a readership of both individual and institutional investors
• Breaking down complex topics and reports laced with industry jargon into clear, engaging prose and/or video segments, without losing nuance
• Familiarity with income statements, balance sheets and other regulatory filings
• Familiarity with company-valuation metrics
• Experience covering legal issues and securities law in particular a plus
• Some experience with using financial databases such as Bloomberg, Standard & Poor’s Capital IQ and Thomson Reuters
• Bachelor’s degree
• Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
• 2-5 years of financial reporting experience
• Strong writing and questioning/investigative skills
• Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
• Comfort level with financial terminology and numbers
Please send your resume and salary requirements, indicating “Banking & Finance Reporter” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org