Tennessean seeks health care industry reporter
The Tennessean is seeking an experienced reporter to cover Middle Tennessee’s near-$40 billion health care sector, the raging debate over health policy and public health issues in one of the nation’s sickest states.
The successful candidate will balance coverage of a burgeoning industry (made up of hundreds of companies and a workforce totaling in the hundreds of thousands) with thoughtful reporting and analysis that will distill complex issues into terms that will help The Tennessean’s fast-growing audience make better informed choices about their own health.
The writer who joins our award-winning business team will have video and social media expertise, and a passion for storytelling.
The ideal candidate produces smart, context-filled stories and other content on tight deadlines and understands the difference in writing for various platforms. This position requires a versatile journalist equally skilled in building and working sources on breaking news stories as well as developing and reporting new angles on trending topics.
The successful candidate will:
- Report and deliver a steady stream of news stories to growing audience that looks to The Tennessean as the definitive source of health care news in Nashville and across the state.
- Put a human face on the news, approaching the beat in a manner that will connect with families and industry insiders alike.
- Bring a digital mindset to the beat, using social media savvy to bring news to readers where they are. That means employing real-time metrics to respond to audience demand and reader interest.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues, and produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media platforms.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related discipline
- At least five years of reporting experience
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to produce accurate and detailed content in a competitive environment
- Expertise with all major social media platforms
- Video production skills a plus
To apply, go here.