Streetwise Media seeks new market editor
Streetwise is a digital media and events company covering, strengthening, and supporting local innovation. We are in Boston (BostInno.com), Chicago (ChicagoInno.com), DC (DCInno.com), and Austin (AustinInno.com), with plans to expand to several cities over the next year. In every market, we publish a daily newsletter, tell a handful of authoritative stories a week, and host monthly meetups and several big events throughout the year.
To expand, we’re looking for a New Market editor to run, sustain, and grow four ‘beta Inno’s’ that eventually grow into full-scale properties. A ‘Beta Inno’ is a micro version of what you see at BostInno, Chicago Inno, DC Inno, and Austin Inno, and delivers a regular newsletter about local tech, innovation and startups, two+ original,/authoritative stories a week, and one+ events a year.
We’re looking for a hungry, passionate, talented writer/editor/audience generator that’s excited by the opportunity to own and grow four ‘Beta Innos.’ (The goal will be to get a Beta Inno running for several months and then spin it out into a full-scale property with a new Beta Inno being slotted in its place).
A New Market editor will:
· Work hard and fast while also understanding that we’re in the business of adding value through original, thoughtful, engaging content regardless of platform.
· Cultivate a local voice, while obviously not being local. (This requires flexibility, hustle, and the ability to identify an important story without being in market).
· Establish a level of authority in every market you cover.
· Ensure that a Beta Inno, while slimmer than a fully-launched site, is still the place to get everything you need to know about local tech and startups.
· Tell original stories about the space, while also being able to curate relevant stories from throughout the community (essential for a New Market editor).
· Teach and inform the readers everyday.
· Be invested in growth, from site performance to event attendees to newsletter subscribers. You own four Inno’s – take pride and responsibility for their success.
· Be self-motivated. There’s not a ton of hand-holding in this role. We’re looking for someone that recognizes the opportunity – the ability to build new media properties and help Inno expand – and runs with it. This is a new role within Inno and we’re looking for someone that can help us define what makes this work.
· Be a good ‘team’ player. Though you’ll be the sole writer of these Inno’s, you’ll work closely with the entire Inno team to grow the brand.
Finally, we don’t have strict experience requirements, but to be a successful Inno newsletter writer, you need to be…
· Personable: You can write with a voice that people recognize and like.
· A journalist: You have a well-developed instinct for a good story.
· A bit of a news junkie: It bothers you if you’re late to find out about a big story.
In addition to the application, please send a paragraph or two to Will@chicagoinno.com, who’s leading market expansion for American Inno, about why you think you’re the right fit for the position.