San Francisco Biz Times seeks digital producer
The San Francisco Business Times seeks a Digital Producer.
The Digital Producer is the primary manager of digital news content, focused chiefly but not solely on content that will appear in our electronic Morning and Afternoon Editions. The Digital Producer writes, edits and curates online content and drives audience engagement; and is responsible for amplifying that content with regular social-media posts throughout the day.
As such, the Digital Producer must possess a solid news sense; an ability to make good judgments about the best treatment of stories; a knowledge and appreciation for different story forms and technology platforms; an interest and ability in expanding the use of video, a keen digital-news mentality; technical fluency with relevant content management and publication platforms; and a high level of confidence in orchestrating the actions of editorial team members.
The goal of the Digital Producer is to craft timely and compelling products that drive loyal engagement, grow audience and extend the San Francisco Business Times brand in the digital space. The job requires solid news judgment, strong news and online headline writing skills and competence with SEO and site metrics. The Digital Producer must balance the highest standards for content with ambitious traffic and engagement objectives. The end result should be a rich and vibrant digital experience that serves the Business Times’ audience, generates user feedback and inspires robust community interaction.
The Digital Producer reports to the editor-in-chief and is also supervised by the managing editor. The Digital Producer must work closely with all editors and reporters, ensuring integration of our print and digital newsgathering and production so that both achieve excellence. The Digital Producer must run our digital news efforts with audience growth and engagement top of mind.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Curate, report, write, edit and publish newsy, engaging Web site content each day.
- Curate, write for, edit and publish the Morning and Afternoon Edition newsletters, in consultation with newsroom leaders. This includes leaving the office each afternoon well-prepared for the next day’s Morning Edition newsletter.
- Post stories and other relevant content on social media platforms throughout the day.
- Follow the precepts of good writing and news style, using Strunk & White’s The Elements of Style and the AP Stylebook. Apply critical thinking to all news reports. Write in a clear, concise and accurate manner. Eliminate factual, spelling, mathematical, grammatical and style errors.
- Take ownership of how stories play on the website, including, but not limited to: Writing crisp, compelling headlines and teases for news stories that drive web traffic; ensuring stories are posted with compelling photos and other visuals; and bringing ideas and expertise to story discussions and planning.
- Track and take ownership of all metrics, including audience engagement, for SFBT website and newsletter products, with an eye toward constant improvement.
- Work directly with reporters throughout the day on digital content of all types.
- Rank stories for Morning and Afternoon Edition email blasts, rewriting headlines as appropriate to maximize “reader optimization.”
- Meet or exceed goals relating to audience engagement such as page views, unique users, visits, email newsletter circulation growth and engagement, and other such measures.
- Gather and upload relevant graphics, photos and info boxes with each story. Produce info boxes and simple graphics where necessary.
- Curate and produce daily Business Pulse reader surveys to engage our audience and provoke discussion on major local news events.
- Update homepage main features regularly to reflect the biggest news of the day and work to drive traffic to subscriber content.
- Schedule homepage content for weekends.
- Track, manage and improve our social media efforts and programs with the goal of increasing and engaging our online audience.
- Organize, schedule and publish sponsored online content when needed.
- Regularly participate in and attend Business Times sponsored events.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with all colleagues.
- Take on any other assignment made by managers.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Editor-in-Chief Patrick Chu at at email@example.com.