San Antonio Business Journal seeks real estate reporter
The San Antonio Business Journal is looking for an ace reporter to cover real estate (commercial and residential) and development (including associated fields such as construction, engineering and architecture), retail and restaurants.
This reporter will report on and write multiple stories online each day, and contribute to the weekly print paper.
San Antonio Business Journal reporters write and post multiple stories daily online in a “digital-first” mindset, meaning that no news is “held” for the weekly print product and that reporters publish new information as soon as possible. Reporters are expected to:
- Cover their assigned beats like no one else in San Antonio, as well as occasional stories assigned that are not on specific beats
- Break news daily in this market and then own the most important ongoing stories
- Curate industry-related hub pages — collaborating closely with editors, the staff visual journalist and the lead page designer — that bring the most important news they’ve covered in a given week to the forefront
- Develop more in-depth centerpiece packages — also in collaboration with the editors, visual journalist and lead designer
- Contribute to special reports and publications as assigned
- Maintain a strong presence in the community — through personal source development, networking, social media and other means — and be an energetic and enthusiastic representative of the Business Journal, as well as attend events produced by the Business Journal
- Write with an authoritative voice, as well as a conversational voice when appropriate, that puts the facts in context — the “so what” factor — for readers
- Networking/source development
- Strong grasp of business reporting/writing, with an equally strong emphasis on getting all the relevant facts and compelling storytelling that never forgets that people are at the center of the news
- Social media
- Great attitude, enthusiasm and competitive drive
Two years reporting experience preferred
Send cover letter, résumé and clips to Editor-in-Chief Tony Quesada at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “SABJ reporter candidate” in the subject line.