Sacramento Biz Journal seeks reporter
The Sacramento Business Journal is looking for a reporter who can develop sources, find scoops and crunch data for stories relevant and useful to the Sacramento business community.
He or she should also know how to use social media to find sources and stories. We’re looking for an assertive, dynamic, competitive journalist who can bring daily scoops for our website, and thoughtful, longer-form pieces and engaging profiles for our weekly print edition.
- Produce about two stories a day for our website that provide exclusive, valuable information for business readers in the Sacramento area.
- Produce about one in-depth feature story a month, and one personality or business profile a month as regular features of our print edition.
- Own the conversation on social media about the industries you cover in the Sacramento area.
- Take pictures and video to illustrate your stories, as needed.
- Work with the design editor and staff photographer on photos, charts, graphs and other visual elements to illustrate your stories.
- Help select and recruit speakers for industry educational and networking events sponsored by the Business Journal and moderate discussion panels, as needed.
- Cultivating and managing a network of industry sources that can regularly provide exclusive news and context.
- Writing compelling stories about sometimes complicated subjects.
- Explaining complicated information in language that’s easy to understand.
- Producing clean, grammatically and stylistically correct copy.
- Basic understanding of business, including how to read a balance sheet and income statement and a basic understanding of financial markets.
- Knowledge of how to use public records, including property records, state licensing records, court filings and Securities and Exchange Commission filings in your reporting.
- Ability to use and analyze data as the basis for stories.
- Presenting an engaging voice on social media.
- Photography, video and graphic skills also a plus.
At least two years as a reporter or editor.
At least a bachelor’s degree
To apply, please send your resume or a link to you LinkedIn profile and clips to editor Adam Steinhauer at email@example.com.