RichmondBizSense seeks a web editor
Richmond BizSense, a pioneer in local, daily online business news, along with our sister site BusinessDen.com, has an opening for a talented and creative web editor to join our thriving newsrooms in Richmond, Va. and Denver, Colo.
The web editor edits eight to 10 stories each day filed by reporters from both cities for accuracy, grammar, AP style and flow and then packages them with photos/art in our content management system; thinking about how to present each story as sharply as possible.
Required skills & experience:
- A competitive drive (we thrive on outworking the local newspapers)
- A love of writing snappy headlines
- Ability to multitask and manage in a fast-paced newsroom
- Curiosity about local business and entrepreneurship
- Curiosity to think like a reader and what makes them click
- At least 2 years of fulltime copy editing work (collegiate experience may be considered for exceptional candidates)
- Experience with Photoshop
- A love of creating interactive graphics, using Google Maps and other programs.
- Familiarity with shooting, editing, posting video and slideshows, and graphic design (Or an appetite to learn on your own)
The Web Editor makes sure the stories are as tightly written and as rich with art as possible on a daily deadline. The Web Editor is the keeper of the finished product and should take great pride in presentation of the site each day.
The Web Editor also crafts our daily HTML email blast (34,000 subscribers and counting across our two sites) as the final task of the day. That requires a mind for catchy, attention grabbing headlines and teaser text to draw readers in.
Because we’re web-only, this position offers the flexibility to be based either in Denver or Richmond.
Hours for this position also offer flexibility, but will generally be 2 p.m. and until 10 p.m., Mon.-Thurs., with early clock-out on Fridays and a couple hours of work on Sundays to get the site ready for Monday.
We’re energized about our growing, profitable company that’s trying to rebuild the news business for the 21st Century and we enjoy covering two thriving business communities in Richmond and Denver.
Based on experience
To apply, send resume, cover letter and 5 clips that include the raw copy and the edited copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.