Reuters seeks six global industry editors
Reuters is seeking six Global Industry Editors to lead journalists covering each of the following sectors: Autos; Consumer Goods & Retail; Mining; Airlines & Aerospace; Technology; and Health care & Pharmaceuticals.
The job locations have not yet been determined and will depend upon the nature of the industry, the needs of the news organization and the preferences of the best candidates.
Delivering world-class corporate news to our financial and media customers is critical to the mission of Reuters, and the Global Industry Editors will be the champions of this coverage. Each editor will work with beat reporters in bureaus around the world and in our offshore centers to build a team that can deploy instantly on breaking news as well as sustain focus on major stories. The goal will be to generate high-impact exclusive news as well as distinctive running coverage of the sector.
The editor will create, maintain and enforce short and long term coverage plans. He or she will work with reporters to develop sourcing strategies, shape ideas and pitch stories to the regional Top News desks and editing desks, guiding them throughout the life cycle of a story.
There will be only a handful of Global Industry Editors at Reuters, and each must be a true leader with exceptional news judgment, sophisticated editing skills, and the ability to inspire reporters and build a shared sense of mission across regional boundaries.
The editor will directly manage some reporters and supervises the rest of the team via a “dotted line” into bureaus around the world, retaining the authority to pull those beat reporters into important corporate stories. The job carries limited administrative responsibilities to allow for maximum focus on the news file. The Global Industry Editor reports to the Regional Editor of the Americas, EMEA or Asia, depending on job location.
- Sophisticated news judgment and ability to prioritize coverage and delegate assignments to sustain focus on the biggest stories
- Familiarity with the internal and external dynamics of individual companies and how they function within a broader industry
- Understanding of what investors look at in companies, and a willingness to build an understanding of what Reuters clients need from the news file
- A passion for business news, and the ability to lead reporters to produce outstanding corporate coverage
- Proven experience in mentoring and coaching reporters
- Ability to act as external ambassador for this industry on behalf of Reuters an advantage
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work effectively within a complex organization to get things done
- At least 8 years’ experience reporting or editing business stories at a major news organization
- Proven ability to prioritize coverage and sustain focus on the most important stories
- Sector expertise is an advantage, but less important than a track record of leading journalists to produce distinctive work
- Experience working with a globally distributed team to cover multinational stories is an advantage If applying, please include your preferred industry and location in your cover letter.
To apply, go here.