Reuters seeks Asia oil and gas correspondent in Singapore
Reuters is looking for a driven, experienced energy journalist to report on Asia’s huge and fast growing energy markets. Focusing on crude oil and natural gas markets, this is a high profile position covering the region’s rapidly growing fuel consumption and the emergence of new global trading powerhouses.
This is an exciting opportunity for a reporter comfortable writing in a variety of formats. The reporter will be expected to produce in-depth stories about the impact of OPEC’s crude supply cuts, the emergence of Asia’s liquefied natural gas (LNG) market, the rise of electric vehicles, and the changing trade flows as the United States becomes a top crude producer. He or she will also be expected to turn around fast spot stories in a highly competitive news environment.
The role requires a drive to engage directly with participants of an often opaque market in order to develop and maintain relevant contacts. Beyond the ability to deliver fast and clear copy, the job also requires ease of handling/analyzing data as well as cooperating with the multi-media team including graphics, pictures and TV.
- Write daily market reports covering Asian oil and gas markets. The role requires closely monitoring physical cargo movements and setting daily crude oil prices. It also requires covering Asia’s financial emerging oil and gas markets.
- Develop sources and break news ahead of competition in a highly competitive environment.
- Develop a deep market knowledge needed to identify and report out market-moving themes and trends.
- Some regional travel may be required to cover industry events.
- At least three years of experience reporting energy or commodity markets.
- Proven ability to break news fast and reliably.
- Willingness to engage with market participants in order to build up and maintain relevant contacts. This includes cold-calling trading desks, attending industry events, and meeting sources directly.
- Comfort with maintaining and using databases to generate data-driven stories.
- Strong news judgment, ability to write with speed, clarity and accuracy.
- Excellent written English; knowledge of Asian languages preferential.
To apply, go here.