Recode seeks deputy managing editor
Recode covers the intersection of business and tech with authority. From breaking news and expert analysis to ground-breaking interviews at our signature Code conferences, we are the most influential brand in tech business news.
Recode is looking for a full-time Deputy Managing Editor, based in Vox Media’s San Francisco office.
What you’ll do:
The Deputy Managing Editor will help lead and manage our newsroom, working with our journalists to break news, develop sourcing and beats, and produce longer, more in-depth features and profiles. You’ll assign stories, provide mentorship, edit copy, advise on headlines and framing, and help manage publishing schedules.
You will represent Recode as an editorial leader at industry events, on TV and radio, and at our conferences. And — depending on your interest level — you’d be encouraged to maintain a reporting beat during some of your time, or write analysis or opinion pieces.
- At least four years of journalism experience as a reporter and/or editor.
- A proven track record in journalism, preferably in business or technology news
- The ability to write clean copy and edit to Recode’s style guide.
- Strong attention to detail.
- The ability to work mostly independently, with support and input from editors and colleagues.
- A creative, collaborative spirit; comfort trying new ideas, knowing some won’t work.
- The ability to work from our San Francisco office most days.
- Some evening and weekend work, and some travel.
Bonus points for:
- Leadership experience
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, samples of your work, and a link to an online presence — blog, podcast, Twitter stream, etc. — that you’re proud of.
To apply, go here.