Pittsburgh Business Times seeks energy/manufacturing reporter
The Pittsburgh Business Times, a digital-first business news operation that’s part of the American City Business Journals chain, is looking for a junior reporter to cover the energy and manufacturing beats.
Preferred candidates will have some daily experience with a reputable news organization. All candidates must have a compelling portfolio of professional clips and strong references. Candidates with knowledge of the Pittsburgh market are especially encouraged to apply.
Our reporters must marry strong traditional journalism skills — source building, sharp interviewing techniques, strong analytical and investigative reporting skills, clear writing, document use — with online and social media know-how. They are expected to contribute both short-form (daily online posts) and long-form (print) stories to our news products. Reporters are expected to break news online and use print and video to tell the story behind the headlines, providing deeper analysis.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• Bachelors degree or equivalent experience
• Minimum of two years of daily journalism experience with some specific beat responsibilities
• Ability to work independently and remotely
• Ability to break news and identify newsworthy events and sources
• Strong writing, analytical and investigative interviewing skills
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person and online, and develop sources and an audience
• Competitive, collaborative, curious
• Mastery of social media and digital interaction
• Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
• Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
• Understanding imperatives of multiple platforms — print, mobile, Internet, etc.
Email cover letter, resume, clips and references in care of editor Howard Burns at email@example.com. No phone calls please.