NY Times seeks deputy tech editor
This editor will oversee reporters and drive coverage of tech policy, the East Coast tech scene, education technology and online advertising.
The responsibilities include infusing tech into the entire report by collaborating with other parts of the newsroom, pairing tech reporters with non-tech reporters, channeling stories by tech reporters to the appropriate desks, and suggesting content across platforms. Candidates should have several years of experience editing news and feature stories, and be a strong conceptualizer of stories in many formats.
Applicants should be interested and curious about technology and its many tentacles, be enthusiastic and creative about visual and digital storytelling, and have several years of experience reporting and/or editing on technology. Candidates should be highly motivated, collegial and a self-starter.
Applicants should submit a résumé, examples of previous work, and a memo outlining their vision for the job. The memo is the most important part of the application. Some questions to wrestle with:
- What audiences should we be focusing on?
- How will our coverage fit into their lives, and how will they experience it?
- How will we distinguish our coverage from other journalism in this space?
- What will be the main vehicles for the coverage? Features? News? Videos?
- What stories are we willing not to do?
This is an excluded position.
To apply, go here.