“Marketplace” seeks general assignment reporter
“Marketplace” has an opening for a general assignment and breaking news reporter with strong digital skills.
The general assignment reporter will have two main jobs. For 30 days, he/she will file one or two stories daily for the next broadcast of the Marketplace Morning Report. During the following 30 days, he/she will report feature stories. Topics include but are not limited to: corporate news, consumer behavior, housing, the changing workforce, macroeconomic trends, financial markets.
Digital skills and ideas are required. The ideal candidate is someone who has proven radio reporting abilities, and who has a passion for reporting business and financial news in Marketplace’s explanatory and accessible style.
The successful candidate will bring solid contacts and an ability to offer an insightful take on the business news of the day, in sound-rich packages, live interviews, long-form articles, and timely digital posts. He/she will have mastered pitching original ideas in multiple formats across a variety of platforms. He/she needs to be able to produce content for digital platforms and ideally has a presence in social media.
This posting has an application deadline of July 30, 2018 (10pm PST).
- Pitch and report ideas for daily spots and digital elements on business and money for Marketplace Morning Report and Marketplace.org for 6 months per year.
- Report and write approximately three sound rich features per month for Marketplace shows during the remaining six months of the year.
- Cover a variety of assignments and develop an area of expertise.
- Produce content for website with writing and photography (supplying additional audio, visual material, related Web resources).
- Deliver substantive reports quickly on varied subjects as shows need.
- Train to deliver live reports and host 2-ways.
- Consistently deliver stories with Marketplace’s writing style and pace.
- Develop ideas/proposals for reports and programs, both by the reporter and by other reporters, hosts and commentators.
- Gather information and audio for reports and programs.
- Report special projects/series.
- Produce or assist in producing special programming, as assigned.
- Operate production and studio equipment and facilities.
- Assist other reporters, producers and editors with information.
- Maintain a wide variety of sources.
- Other duties as assigned, including meetings and other events.
This role will require a willingness and ability to work varied shifts, including those starting at 10 AM Pacific or later.
To apply, go here.