“Marketplace” seeks correspondent/host
Marketplace is seeking a journalist who can both cover the administration’s economic policy, and host Marketplace’s suite of radio shows: Marketplace Morning Report, Marketplace, Marketplace Tech, and Marketplace Weekend.
The Correspondent / Host will be a signature Marketplace voice. S/he will host at least one third of the time, primarily as Marketplace Morning Report’s primary on-call host; the rest of the time he/she will be a Correspondent for all of Marketplace’s programs. S/he will report a stream of daily spots and features across platforms that explain what’s happening in the economy and how it affects people, workers, companies and the broader economy.
The Correspondent / Host will focus his/her reporting on the economic promises and realities of the current administration, including the pledge to return millions of disenfranchised workers to prosperity by restoring an economy that many feel has left them behind; a vision to create 25 million jobs; and the possibility of a shifting economic landscape on trade, taxes, energy, and regulation.
The successful candidate will bring solid contacts and an ability to offer an insightful take on the business news of the day, in sound-rich packages, live interviews, and long-form articles. He/she will have mastered pitching original ideas in multiple formats across a variety of platforms. He/she needs to be able to produce content for digital platforms.
This position is responsible for conveying the Marketplace sound and approach in writing and editing of program copy, breaking-news and feature interviews. The Correspondent / Host also may have other responsibilities associated with hosting a suite of national programs reaching millions of weekly listeners, including serving as a public representative of Marketplace and APM.
It’s an exciting time to join Marketplace. An industry leader in telling meaningful and creative stories on the radio with close to 13 million listeners, we are evolving into a multimedia enterprise centered around the ambition of raising the economic intelligence of all Americans.
We’re an ambitious shop, fueled by ambitious ideas. Good ideas are the currency of Marketplace. This is a place of creativity and unorthodox thinking. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, even though we understand the critical importance of people understanding how the economy shapes the world around us.
- Serve as a key on-air voice of Marketplace, hosting our suite of shows as necessary
- Serve as the primary on-call host for Marketplace Morning Report
- Pitch and report ideas for daily spots, features and digital elements on the administration’s economic policies, for Marketplace shows and Marketplace.org.
- Deliver substantive reports quickly on varied subjects as shows need.
- Deliver live reports and host 2-ways, as needed.
- Consistently deliver stories with Marketplace’s writing style and pace.
- Develop ideas/proposals for reports and programs, both by the reporter and by other reporters, hosts and commentators.
- Cover a variety of assignments plus an area of expertise.
- Produce for website with writing and photography (supplying additional audio, visual material, related Web resources)
- In coordination with program staff, contributes to decision-making on use of editorial material, including interviews, actualities, and reporter pieces.
- Maintains up-to-the-minute currency with local, national and international news, especially as it relates to money, business, finance and the economy.
- Suggests programming ideas and prepares for interviews. Proposes and conducts interviews.
- Participates in any other production necessary for the programs.
- Serves as a public representative of the programs regionally and nationally.
- Makes personal appearances for Marketplace-APM stations as assigned.
- Initiate, research, report, write, and produce news coverage on economic/social issues for Marketplace programs, including remote field recording on breaking news
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Required Education and Experience:
- BA degree or equivalent work experience
- Ten or more years experience in journalism, reporting, and editing. Special expertise in areas of interest to our audience
- Previous daily reporting experience.
- Demonstrated professional delivery style of national network quality, and in synch with Marketplace sound.
- At least five years experience in the role of on-air talent on radio and/or television.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to perform in a consistently clear, interesting, authoritative, friendly and relaxed manner. Possess an engaging voice, superior ear and sense of sound, sense of humor and style.
- Capable of handling tight deadlines with calm.
- Proven critical judgment skills and ability to make snap decisions regarding credibility, personality and value of material to program.
- Ability to represent Marketplace in national and station promotion, including public speaking.
- Ability to work with others, frequently under stressful conditions, in a goal-oriented, team environment.
- Excellence in writing and ability to tell stories in the Marketplace style
- Individual style and originality in writing, storytelling and marshalling of facts to tell thorough and engaging stories
- Independence & good judgment: Work effectively with minimal supervision, even in complicated situations
- Ability to direct analysis and development of decisions with broad impact
- Extensive knowledge of business and economics issues and terms
- Capacity to report quickly – quick turnaround
- Ability to provide “live” reports and host two-ways – at expert level
- Radio production capability
- Proven interviewing techniques
- Ability to work with editors, reporters and operations staff to coordinate show content and to produce special programming
- Ability to maintain high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
- Extraordinary ability to synthesize
- Extensive research skills and ability to decipher and utilize appropriate material
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proven ability to produce national quality programming, including planning, research, writing, and production of segments for daily business news radio programs
- Ability to operate remote and on-site recording equipment, edit audiotape, and prepare all elements of program in ready-for-broadcast form.
- Working knowledge of computers and broadcasting equipment including digital audio editing.
- Interest in and knowledge of a broad range of subjects and people; a natural sense of curiosity about the world.
To apply, go here.