“Marketplace” seeks a senior producer in Los Angeles
It’s an exciting time to join Marketplace. We’re a growing multi-platform enterprise with a mission to raise the economic intelligence of all Americans. And we’re the largest business show on TV or radio, with over 13 million weekly radio listeners, and a growing digital audience.
As Senior Producer, you’d join a growing On Demand team of a very successful suite of podcasts. You’d start as the leader of Make Me Smart and Marketplace Tech, overseeing the big picture and the small details, overseeing the creative evolution and development of each podcast. You’d also serve as advocate and ambassador for Make Me Smart and Marketplace Tech, both internally and externally.
You should be a strong manager, a dynamic leader, have a keen ear for radio, and have strong digital chops. This position works with people across locations. You’ll need to have extraordinary management and people skills, and the ability and drive to raise the profile, sound and shape of Make Me Smart and Marketplace Tech, and be a creative player in our entire On Demand team. Each of our production teams are small, so you’d be expected to take an active role in every part of the production process, including pitching stories, overseeing booking, editing, while ensuring the big picture direction and audience and digital goals are being met.
You’d join a creative, ambitious team, working at Marketplace. We’re one of the most dynamic multimedia brands in the country, known for an irreverent approach to business and economic news on multiple platforms. Our currency is good ideas. We value creativity and unorthodox thinking. And while we are serious about covering business and the economy the right way, we don’t take ourselves too seriously.
Make Me Smart is a weekly podcast and digital offering hosted by Kai Ryssdal and Molly Wood, and Marketplace Tech is a daily podcast and module hosted by Molly Wood.
- Collaborate with small production team, including hosts, including pitching ideas, prepping scripts, and producing episodes.
- Help develop and communicate the vision, direction, sound, and standards for show.
- Works closely and skillfully with program hosts and staff, including one remote host.
- Edit others’ work, including line edits, suggested cuts, mixing notes, and overall editorial direction.
- Work collaboratively to develop and execute a robust digital strategy and audience growth strategy.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Coordinate production, marketing, and communication with internal and external partners.
- Manage timely delivery for all podcast elements.
- Serve as senior quality control staff member for program material.
- Help develop and manage new podcasts, as needed.
- Manage small podcast team within a growing On Demand department.
- Leads recruiting and training when necessary; participates in departmental recruiting and training.
- Hires, supervises, trains and manages direct staff through coaching, mentorship, performance meetings and ongoing feedback. Involves HR on performance issues as needed.
- Initiates and oversees special programming for service, coordinating on-air, digital elements, press communication, and marketing.
- Manages budgets as needed.
- Assists with fundraising as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned, including filling in for other Senior Producers at Marketplace.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Strong ability to structure compelling audio content and stories.
- 7+ years experience, including three years at management/supervisory level.
- Supervisory/management experience is required – experience must demonstrate an ability to foster high standards and an ability to coach, inspire and lead.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Experience producing podcasts.
- Dynamic storytelling ability.
- Experience working with hosts.
- Ability to think big and create memorable audio, and able to manage the myriad daily details of production.
- Flexible under deadline pressure, able to work effectively and collaboratively with hosts and other staff.
- High journalistic standards and a vision of what (s)he wants show to be each episode and over the long term.
- Must have sense for the Marketplace style, rhythm, and sound.
- Ability to quickly write and edit smart, compelling content for a variety of platforms.
- High journalistic standards and a vision for your podcast for each day, and over the long term.
- Production experience in digital audio or radio.
- Highly motivated, well organized and flexible.
- Resourcefulness and ability to problem-solve.
- Independence, initiative and excellent judgment.
- Field production experience.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Extensive knowledge of digital audio broadcast software and techniques, studio and field production.