Economist seeks Snapchat editor
Are you interested in creating powerful visual journalism day in, day out? Does the challenge of bringing The Economist to life on a radically different platform, in a way that remains true to its voice, values and 174-year history, appeal to you? Do you know, get and use Snapchat? If the answer is yes, and you are an early-career multimedia journalist with a strong portfolio of work, excellent grasp of current affairs and lively writing style, The Economist would like to hear from you.
We are looking for a Deputy Snapchat Editor to become a core member of a small team tasked with making our weekly stories for Snapchat Discover. The deputy editor is involved in all aspects of the editorial process including script-writing, adapting pre-existing content for the Snapchat audience, video-editing, liaising across different editorial departments, and on occasion, stepping in to run the Snapchat department.
A clear understanding of what makes The Economist’s editorial voice unique, abundant creativity, exceptional copy-writing skills and thorough experience with the Snapchat platform are essential for this position. As are outstanding organizational skills, flexibility, an appetite for experimentation and a good sense of fun. Some leadership experience is preferred, but not essential.
How to apply
Please send a CV and a cover letter that includes two ideas for Economist Snapchat editions and three ideas for individual snaps.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom and should be available to start in May 2017. The deadline for applications is April 16th 2017.
In the role you would be expected to:
- Write scripts: read and distill articles into compelling top snap copy that is in keeping with The Economist’s editorial voice
- Generate edition ideas
- Brainstorm and storyboard designs for topsnaps with designers/animators
- Create and edit video to a high standard
- Liaise across departments (social team, news desk, journalists)
- Quickly understand our visual language and instruct in it
- Build on our visual language and help take it to a new level
- Manage the Snapchat team in the editor’s absence
- Approve snaps and pre approve editions for publication
Applicants must have:
A portfolio of work showcasing these specific creative skills:
- Fluency in Adobe After effects, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Proficiency in Adobe premiere is essential
As well as:
- Proven ability to work well collaboratively
- Excellent organizational skills
- Substantial experience working to tight deadlines
- An open-minded and energetic approach to innovating and iterating design
- Exceptional attention to detail and receptiveness to instruction
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills
- A thorough understanding of The Economist’s unique editorial voice
- Outstanding knowledge and understanding of the Snapchat platform
- Strong working knowledge of other social media platforms and the role they play in digital media
- A Masters degree or a comparable level of experience is preferred
To apply, go here.