Dow Jones Newswires seeks financial editors
Dow Jones Newswires seeks digitally savvy financial editors with the experience and speed to meet the needs of professional investors seeking real-time delivery of news and insights.
The successful candidates must have top-notch management and editing skills along with the news judgment to assign, curate and package content for a sophisticated, professional audience. Much of the editing will focus on markets, finance and business topics, so familiarity with those subjects and experience as an editor in those areas is expected.
These editors must understand the demands of a real-time news cycle and be comfortable making fast, independent decisions.
Senior publishing editors direct the work of the publishing editors and coordinate across the entire news organization.Strong communication skills and an understanding of how to collaborate in a team environment are essential.
- Exercises exceptional news judgment in editing and fast-paced publishing of breaking news headlines and stories.
- Assigns and oversees editors’ work and helps them make progress.
- Demonstrates the ability to quickly and sharply edit for grammar, style, sense, jargon, accuracy, structure, balance and fairness.
- Draws on a depth of financial knowledge to quickly assess and prioritize headline writing and editing of breaking news coming in through multiple channels.
- Upholds Dow Jones standards and ethics.
- Understands WSJ’s brand, content and various digital and print platforms.
- Recognizes the core audiences for WSJ and Dow Jones Newswires, and their needs and expectations.
- Helps connect the content with the audience.
- Assigns or oversees other editors’ work. May manage workflow or participate in performance reviews.
- Takes pride in and ownership of his or her work and the work of the entire team.
- Leads by example and works well across teams.
- Assists in coaching individual editors, identifies training opportunities and participates in training presentations as needed.
- Makes coverage decisions and organizes colleagues to execute plans.
- Collaborates with reporters and editors from other groups.
- Aids in building collective skills across the editing team.
- Communicates precisely, with compassion.
- Proactive rather than reactive.
Digital media skills
- Expert at using different publishing systems and platforms.
- Full command of newsroom editorial tools, metadata and internal coding for Newswires.
- Proactive about proper coding and tagging for headlines and different types of content for different channels.
- Proficient in using technology to enhance speed and efficiency of monitoring news, checking facts, handling urgent stories and communicating across teams.
- Possesses a well-honed sense of urgency along with a capacity to remain calm under pressure.
- Prioritizes tasks and time while handling multiple responsibilities.
- Meets deadlines.
- Understands workflow beyond his or her own needs.
- Flexible in changing/handing off tasks.
- General awareness of how a newsroom works.
- Functions well within a team.
- Wants to learn new skills.
- Participates in recruiting and evaluating candidates during the hiring process.
- Participates in decision-making regarding disciplinary action and compensation.
To apply, go here.