Crain’s Detroit Business seeks an assistant ME
Crain’s Detroit Business seeks an assistant managing editor.
The right candidate will have a track record of overseeing big stories and comfort in shifting between daily breaking news and a weekly print newspaper. This editor will manage a high-producing team of reporters, assigning and editing breaking news and enterprise with a premium on scoops and news our business audience can’t get elsewhere. A successful candidate will be able to conceive, assign, edit and execute stories that matter.
- Assigning and editing stories for news-oriented business publication.
- Managing and guiding reporters in breaking news and producing deep enterprise that spurs action.
- Editing and polishing stories to engage readers, and bring them the information they need to succeed.
- Maintaining weekly and longer-term coverage plans and story budgets.
- Coordinating staff reporters, freelancers, photographers and digital producers to appropriately package stories for maximum impact.
- Occasional speaking appearances at Crain’s events or in other media.
Basic Qualifications Needed:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- At least 5 years of journalism experience, including reporting, copyediting, headline writing, page layout in a dead-line driven newsroom.
- Experience managing staff and freelancers.
- Strong macro-level editing skills: stakes, structure, story, pacing.
- Strong writing and editing skills with an eye for the big picture and an ear for fine details.
- Strong micro-level editing skills: facts, aesthetics, tone, voice, clarity.
- Must be comfortable being a part of the working editorial team.
- Must be an organized, confident and well-spoken professional who can perform in a collaborative environment while achieving challenging goals.
- Ability to work onsite in Detroit newsroom.
- Occasional night and weekend work, typically done remotely, is required.
- Online portfolio or links to recent and relevant work.
- Past editorial management experience and business journalism experience.
- Experience in both print and digital formats a plus.
- Ability to think outside of the box and offer new ideas.
- Experience managing reporters and / or freelancers
- Proficiency in social media
- Entrepreneurial in spirit, open to new ideas and not afraid of change.
To apply, go here.