CoStar seeks news editor in New Jersey
CoStar is expanding our news platform with the addition of several news editor positions and additional resources to take our news service to the next level. This is a great opportunity for experienced, tech-savvy, digital-oriented and highly-organized business journalists to take charge and set the news direction for your assigned beat. Previous reporting experience covering commercial real estate is a definite advantage.
- Take the lead in defining, producing and managing the delivery of original news coverage for CoStar’s extensive online audience of commercial real estate professionals.
- Collaborate and coordinate coverage with CoStar’s News Team to develop story ideas, diversify our coverage, and ensure timely delivery and coverage across markets.
- Source and develop insightful news content from internal and external data sources and tell data-driven stories in a compelling manner.
- Cultivate and manage a bench of knowledgeable sources and expert contributors.
- Creatively develop engaging imagery to accompany your reporting.
- Attend major industry events and plan and manage special event coverage, (e.g. ICSC’s RECon conference and NAA’s annual conference for multifamily property).
- Monitor major industry trends, leaders and companies, including news and social channels, for leads and industry relevance.
- Be responsible for the accuracy and veracity of the news you report and follow generally accepted journalism ethics and standards to report the facts, including a commitment to truth, accuracy, fairness and impartiality.
- Use traffic and keyword data to gain a better understanding of the news our readers are most interested in to help shape future news coverage.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Proven real estate journalist with extensive experience in a high profile editorial news or online content-creating/curating role covering commercial real estate (min. five years.) with regular writing/reporting experience for an online audience.
- Results oriented – with proven ability to prioritize, drive and achieve results through self and others while working to deadlines under pressure.
- Strong journalism background with proven writing and copy-editing skills, ideal candidates will also be experienced writing in a variety of styles, from straightforward hard news to profiles of industry leaders and longer, analytic pieces.
- Candidates should be comfortable in digital media, with a creative flair for images and other visual content to accompany news reports.
- B2B media experience preferred.
- In addition to having a sharp eye for news and exceptional attention to detail, journalists should have high standards for their work product, with superior attention to details and accuracy.
- Strategic mindset and analytical skills with ability to source and develop news from internal and external data sources, including the unmatched property information and data available in CoStar’s proprietary information service.
- Excellent web headline and copywriting skills, with a command of AP Style and a deep knowledge of SEO best practices.
- Ability to work within a team collaborative environment and manage both up and down management chain.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required; ideally in journalism, communications, or a related discipline.
To apply, go here.