Consumer Reports seeks senior writer/editor to cover money
A creative content creator conceiving of and executing a range of digital, print, social, interactive, and video content for all Consumer Reports products.
With minimal supervision, the Senior Multimedia Content Creator writes, edits and enhances the work of Money team, making sure stories are on-strategy, on-time, accurate, incorporate the contributions of all relevant internal resources, and are well-packaged and highly engaging. The Senior Multimedia Content Creator assists with the generation of content ideas and manages the workflow of print, digital and video content.
- Under minimal supervision, generates cross-platform money content campaigns that will be published across print, digital, and video platforms; works closely with counterparts in Advocacy, Survey, Communications, Design, and other key stakeholders to maximize resources and consumer impact.
- Conducts large scale enterprise investigative reporting.
- Proactively follows and reports on money, ensuring content is relevant, timely, cutting-edge and addresses consumer needs in a proactive way. Attends trade shows and other industry events as needed.
- Acts as both in-house money spokesperson and CR money representative for media outreach, tradeshows and industry events.
- Acts as on-camera money subject-matter expert for all CR video platforms; may be asked to execute rough drafts of video scripts.
- Edits the work of other writers in assigned product categories for publication on multiple platforms; advises other writers on best practices for digital content production.
- Partners with digital editorial team to maintain specialty products and other regularly-updated content on Consumer Reports Online.
- Oversees coordination of information between Money, Advocacy, Survey, Social, Communications, Design, and other organizational teams that support assigned content areas.
- Participates in the planning and scheduling process, creates sidebars, infographics that animates stories and reports.
- Moves content through the production process, incorporating changes by related parties, copy-fitting, and conferring with art and production personnel.
- Writes headlines, subheads, captions, cover lines etc., as necessary. Prepares sourcing for fact-checking.
- Actively participates as a member of the money product and content team, conferring with other team members as necessary to ensure objectives for quality and timeliness are met.
- May write content, as needed, across all platforms.
- Maintains high level knowledge of one or more product or service categories within the content group.
- Performs other duties of the department as needed, but not those of a higher level.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of seven to 10 years of experience in multi-platform editorial for finance, business or consumer project journalism required.
- Strategic creative skills essential.
- Must be able to work in self-directed capacity and to conceive and execute compelling multimedia content.
- Can translate complex technical financial information into informative content across multiple platforms.
- Ability to manage and lead in a cross-organizational capacity required.
- A thorough knowledge of personal finance and the financial industry are required.
- High level of competency in all aspects of reviewing and creating accurate and compelling stories across all platforms.
- Highly skilled in collecting and interpreting all data, internal and external, to create the most accurate and in context story possible.
- Ability to smoothly transition writing styles from hard news to expository review to opinionated blog.
- High level of competency in editing and writing display copy, generating ideas for infographics across all media.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet rigid deadlines.
- Competency with page design software (for example, K4 and CQ) as well as office and document software (for example, Microsoft Office and Google Docs) highly beneficial.
- On-camera broadcast experience, mass media training, and a daily journalism background are preferred.
- Editing and Writing: Demonstrates professional-level editing and writing ability across multiple media formats. Able to edit the work of colleagues (writers and non-writers) in various stages of development.
- Consumer Focus: Proactively seeks ways to discover and incorporate consumer needs into all content development.
- Collaboration: Values the contribution of all internal resource groups (e.g. Product Intelligence, Survey, Lab Techs, etc.).
- Time Management: Demonstrates ability to accomplish tasks by established deadlines; demonstrates discipline in using time management tools and techniques; uses time efficiently to balance competing demands and priorities.
- Content Strategy: Partners with other areas to ensure content is current, of the highest quality, and delivered in multiple media formats in support of the organization’s strategic goals.
Physical Demands: Must be able travel as needed, perform on camera, and work in an office environment.
To apply, go here.