BuzzFeed seeks a tech reporter in San Francisco
BuzzFeed News is looking for a smart, tenacious, and enthusiastic reporter to cover the confluence of money, power, and technology from our San Francisco bureau.
We’re looking for a reporter with five or more years experience who can own a beat, break news, and advance stories.
This is a highly ambitious desk, and the successful candidate will share that drive and passion. You should have a demonstrated ability to land scoops and unearth stories that might otherwise not have come to light. You should be capable of filing camera-ready copy and telling stories in engaging ways that touch readers’ lives.
The right candidate will have a deep list of industry sources and be capable of calling on executives, board members, product managers, engineers, designers, and investors. They should be eager to dive into emerging technologies, products and trends and report back from the horizon with practiced skepticism; A low tolerance for bullshit and jargon is essential. They should be able to accurately forecast where things are going. They should have good taste.
We believe technology is oxygen to the world we now live in. It’s the foundation that everything else we build rests upon. And it has never been more influential than right now.
We hope to build a team that continues to be diverse in many ways, and want to cast a wide net. We offer competitive compensation and a stock option program. Also, we have a lot of fun.
- Cultivate sources and dig up the stories no one else is telling
- Produce a mix of newsy shorts, deeply reported stories, and smart analysis
- Pitch early and often — and be willing to regularly spitball the other reporters’ ideas.
- Work quickly
- Work on more than one story at a time
- Embrace new and innovative ways to package and tell stories
- A proven track record and great clips
- Proven ability to turn complicated ideas into clear and lively prose
- Genuine enthusiasm for reporting, even when it’s annoying
- A skeptical eye for bullshit
- A willingness to work collaboratively
- Love for and excitement about the internet
To apply, go here.