Bloomberg seeks First Word DC editor
First Word DC is the beating heart of it all, Bloomberg’s Washington speed and breaking news desk that drives coverage of the U.S. government for those who need to know. We sit in the center of the Washington newsroom, where headlines and alerts cover every facet of U.S. government policy and politics, including the White House, Congress, regulatory agencies, and campaigns.
What’s the Role?
First Word DC is seeking an experienced editor who can play all positions on our breaking news team seamlessly, a leader who doesn’t mind doing the little things. The ideal applicant works well under pressure, understands Washington from Congress to regulatory issues and can quickly catch mistakes and improve copy when seconds count. We’re looking for a player/coach, someone whose edits will improve reporters as well as their text, someone who can headline and write with speed and precision.
We’ll trust you to:
- Be a pleasant human being to work with, even under stressful circumstances
- Write quickly, cleanly and accurately under deadline pressure
- Turn nuanced Washington speak into headlines that move markets and alerts that prompt action
- Have excellent news judgment, sorting the need-to-know from the nice-to-know
- Edit copy for style and substance, both the copy that’s on the page as well as what’s not there
You’ll need to have:
- An understanding and knowledge of U.S. government news
- Proven experience in a real-time news environment
- A bachelor’s degree
- Previous journalism experience
- Fluency in English (other language skills are a plus)
To apply, go here.