Automotive News seeks a Tesla reporter
Automotive News, a growing and dynamic news organization owned by Crain Communications Inc., is seeking a world-class business journalist to cover Tesla Inc., automotive technology and related beats from Silicon Valley.
This position calls for a multimedia-talented reporter who will cover the dawn of self-driving vehicles and car-sharing providers with an eye on broader strategic shifts in the future of auto manufacturing and retailing.
Applicants should demonstrate a proven track record covering sophisticated business news for a quality news organization — and be prepared to tackle near-daily breaking news from Tesla and other key automotive players in Silicon Valley. Automotive experience is a major plus, but not mandatory. Applicants must be able to travel on a regular basis and be comfortable working remotely, reporting to the Detroit home office.
This position will offer excellent pay and benefits. There will be opportunities for future advancement at our stable, growing publication. The reporter will be expected to do the following:
- Produce a robust flow of online and print stories.
- Cover various business-to-business automotive technology beats, including but not limited to Tesla, software development, autonomous vehicles, car-sharing, online retailing and miscellaneous Silicon Velley stories of interest to an automotive audience.
- Participate in multimedia projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years of professional business journalism experience at a quality news organization.
- Proven capability of producing scoops and exclusive stories.
- Strong writing and communication skills, excellent grasp of grammar and style.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in source development.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail.
- Experience writing stories in real time, under tight deadlines.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Self-motivation and ability to work remotely.
- Team player who can work in a collaborative news organization.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Ability to work remotely.
- Digital portfolio of recent work.
- Some automotive coverage experience is highly preferred, but not mandatory. Retail experience is a plus, too.
- Digital/multimedia experience is a major plus.
- Confident discussing industry news live on camera and speaking in public.
To apply, go here.