SABEW seeks entries for Birger Young Business Journalist of the Year award
The Society of American Business Editors and Writers seeks entries for the Larry Birger Young Business Journalist of the Year Award.
The award is named after the late Larry Birger, former Miami Herald business editor and SABEW president.
Contest opens June 1, 2016. Deadline for entries is Monday, Aug. 1, 2016, and the winner will be announced at the fall conference in New York City. A total of 34 young journalists entered in 2015, with one winner and three finalists named.
The winner will receive a $1,500 honorarium and an expenses-paid trip to New York City where the award will be presented at SABEW’s Fall Conference, Oct. 6-7.
A team of five journalist/judges will determine the winner, as well as up to four named finalists. Judging will be conducted Aug. 1- Sept.1.
- Journalists 29 years old and younger during 2015 are eligible. A journalist who turned 30 during 2015 is eligible.
- Entry deadline is midnight EST, Monday, Aug. 1, 2016.
- Freelancers are eligible but must meet all criteria.
How to enter:
- Entrants should send a one-page resume and one letter of recommendation (1-2 pages) from a nominating supervisor.
- Entrants must also include two professional references other than the nominating editor. Names (with title), e-mail and telephone number must be included with each reference.
- Entrants must include five (5) published work samples or video packages from the period 2011 through 2015. They should represent a mix of long- and short-form journalism. Digital samples are allowed. The work should show sophistication and acumen in the covered topic.
- Up to three (3) work samples may include a multiple or double byline credit. In the case of videos, it should include a tagline or sign off.
- Up to five (5) supporting elements may be included with an entry. Supporting elements include text sidebars, videos, photos, multimedia pieces, etc.
- Contest entries will be accepted in PDF and/or through permalinks from URLs.
The entries will be submitted on the SABEW.org website, through the Best in Business contest portal. There will be no charge for entries. You must be a SABEW member, or be part of a SABEW institutional membership to enter.
Specific instructions for entering the contest:
- Log in through the SABEW Member portal and select “Enter Contest” in the left side bar. You’ll be taken to the contest homepage.
- Enter the contest through the orange “Enter Contest” button. You will be taken to the Publication page.
- Even if you are affiliated with a specific publication, please enter Larry Birger Young Business Journalist in the Publication search bar. This will allow your entry to be independent without ties to a publication.
- On the Contributors page, please select yourself and continue.
- On the Select Contest page, please select the Birger Young Business Journalist Contest.
- From there you may begin adding in your work in either PDF or links. You are not limited as to how many pages/links you are allowed to upload in order to fully represent your five main work samples.
If you have questions about membership status or contest entry, please email email@example.com.